Pages

Tuesday 1 November 2011

Hernandez: I don't mind how I score




Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez's attitude is that of a goalscorer - as long as he keeps finding the back of the net he will be happy.

The 'Little Pea' scored the winner at Everton on Saturday after getting on the end of a Patrice Evra cross but his goal brought up a curious record for the Mexican striker - he has yet to score for United from outside the box.

Hernandez has netted 24 goals already in his burgeoning career at Old Trafford but none of them have come from long range and this has led to comparisons with one of United's most famous goal poacher - Ruud van Nistelrooy.

However, the 23-year-old is not concerned about being labelled as a one-dimensional penalty-box predator.

When Hernandez was asked by Inside United whether he thinks he can score from outside the box this season, he replied: "You never know!"

"I think part of the reason I haven't done that yet is because of the instructions I receive from Sir Alex.

"My job is play very high, right on the last man. To be honest, I don't mind how I score goals - whether or not you score from one metre or from the halfway line, it counts the same. A goal is a goal."

ManUtd.com notes that it took Van Nistelrooy 138 matches to score from outside the area and it was in a 3-1 victory at Charlton in 2005.

Meanwhile, Sir Alex Ferguson's side now face Otelul Galati in midweek hoping to take another step towards the UEFA Champions League knockout stages before hosting Sunderland at Old Trafford next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment